|Single line cracks are the beginning signs of asphalt paving distress. They should be evaluated and crack filled on a yearly basis before they develop into patches. See “Crack Filling” page.|
|Alligatored areas are caused by base failure and/or high viscosity levels that make the paving hard and brittle. These areas may sink or breakup They should be dug up and properly patched.|
|Potholes are areas that have broken up due to water, freeze-thaw cycles, etc. In most cases these areas need to be filled temporarily in cold weather and then dug up and properly patched when weather conditions improve.|
|Coal tar emulsions are the traditional product for asphalt maintenance. However, continuous use of coal tar sealers can result in cracking and peeling which destroys fuel resistance and can lead to pavement failure.|
|Striping should be done on a periodic basis to improve the appearance and efficiency of any parking lot.|
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO AVOID THESE COMMON PROBLEMS? The Asphalt Institute states: “The key to extending the life of your pavement, in the most economical manner, is with timely preventive maintenance.” Schedule maintenance when your pavement is in good condition, and structurally upgrade poor pavements.
- Asphalt Rejuvenator is the best tool on the market. Using Asphalt Rejuvenator as part of your regular preventive maintenance program will stretch your budget dollars by helping to postpone or avoid these problems.
- Asphalt Rejuvenator is an innovative technology that reduces pavement viscosity. The same application also seals the pavement from fuel, salt, water and the sun’s UV rays.
- Proper preventive asphalt maintenance helps protect you from legal liability by keeping your asphalt pavement in good condition.
- Rowles Asphalt can help you formulate an appropriate short or long range preventive maintenance program to get the most value for your budget dollar.
- Our experts are available for informative seminars for you, your staff or business associations.